Friday, November 22, 2013

Trying to teach a little one about being Thankful... one leaf at a time

Well, I read this really cool blog about being thankful and being mindful of our blessings.  So I've tried to get T, Holt and myself to write on the back of a leaf what we are thankful for.  It was pretty awesome to get a fee download of leaves with Scripture on them. 

You can find the info here
 
Then on Thanksgiving you get to read Scripture then flip over your leaves
and remember your blessings!



 
But..........the other day........... leaves were missing.  Missing??  Yes... MISSING
 
So I drilled T...nope - he had no clue.  Holt...nope - hadn't seen them.
 
Then... it happened.  Simba's tail hit the branch ... slowly in dramatic fashion a leaf fell to the floor.
 
*GASP*
 
(but wait....this solves...nothing)
 
They are nowhere to be found.  Not around the tree, under the table or on the floor.  (She thinks "If he just knocked them off they surely would be sitting there.")
 
*TRIPLE GASP!!!!*
 
In that same moment, ASLAN walks over and sees the leaf on the floor.  Then... without an ounce of hesitation... HE EATS the leaf...the string... our prayers - ALL of it.  He ate ALL OF IT.  GONE!
 
Darn dogs!  How could they!?  I mean, I took a lot of time to find, cut and get my family sharing.  A lot of effort.  Now... my tree has just a few leaves but I'm reminded...
 
I should be thankful for SO much more - every day... not just ONE thing but ALL things.
 
My boss said the other day "What would tomorrow be like if you only had what you thanked God for today"  OUCH.
 
So while this thanks giving tree serves as a reminder... I don't need to see the tree, I just need to REALLY open my eyes and look around me.  I have much, I am blessed.  Dogs or no dogs, leaves or no leaves... I can be and I am thankful.
 
 
 

1 comment: