Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Goodbye Butterscotch

Today was a heartbreaking day.   I had to bring our sweet Butterscotch to be put to sleep.

I dreaded 3:40pm.  DREADED it.  See B had an accident a while back that left her hind legs injured.  the vets all thought/hoped she would get better.

Daily I did physical therapy type exercises with her. I was her hind legs and butt and made sure she stayed clear of infection. I cleaned her eyes... she was getting infections from sitting in her pee pee and poo all day... but I did the best I could.

Finally... she just seemed to give up.  And, I knew.



We told Tristan... and he had a lot of questions but he was sad.  Finally, we explained that B had to go to Heaven with Jesus.  She was hurting and we would be selfish to keep her here.  We told him that when we got to Heaven, B would be waiting in his room for him.  He was sad, said he would miss her and then asked if he could have a "new Butterscotch".  (Oh to have the mind of a 4-year old).  Thankfully, my boy was ready to move on.

I brought her to the vet today and just silently sat and stroked her until they gave us our own little room.  That's when the tears started flowing. I mean, she's only been mine for a few months... but I loved her. Everyone loved her.  From what I'm told... I'm the only one she licked... EVERY time I held her and scratched her under her chin like I would my kitties - she would lick me.  It was "our thing".

The vet came in and we talked and talked about what had happened, what we were up against and most likely... her future (which was grave).  So, after crying and crying (hugging the vet) and crying... I said it was time.  I kissed her (a few times) and the vet gave her the shot. The calming, sleepy shot.  I held her and she snuggled into my arm.  Her little teeth pushing against me... just staring at me.  The vet said she was "heavy" and very, very relaxed in some form of sleep but she blinked and I kissed her... shook her ears and I kissed her... then I sang. I sang and sang and sang.  I sang about Jesus and the place I knew she and all the little animals of the world were going (for those that disagree on animals in heaven...I challenge you to read Revelations - Jesus does not ride in on a tractor or BMW... it's a HORSE!  The lion and the lamb will lay together... shall I keep going?

Anyway... I told her.. and I finally let go.  The vet came back in, I'm still weeping and asking her HOW I will ever do this with my dogs... and she hugged me again.  She said it was best.  And I knew it was.  She carted her off to do "the rest" and to send her off to her final home.  Next week, on my birthday, I will bury her.

We love you Butterscotch, we will miss you.  I've never known a guinea pig but from what everyone who knew you says... YOU WERE AN AMAZING GIRL!!  I couldn't agree more.



See you around B  - I LOVE YOU!!  Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment