Friday, March 22, 2013

SEND ME Lord!

Last night I ran to the grocery store and on my way home I saw a woman and her (maybe) 6 month old "begging" for help.  She had a sign... she didn't offer eye contact which, to me, showed her shame in having to ask.

I had to get home, it was late, Tristan hadn't eaten yet... but it nagged me the entire way.  So when I got home I asked Holt if we could go and buy her food.

I don't give homeless (or those in need) money very often. I've had many instances where I assumed they would drink (or they just told me they would).  If someone was so strung out on drugs... I knew better. But, I'll buy you food, heck I'll sit down in a restaurant and have dinner WITH them.

Tristan overheard us talking and wanted to go. That sweet little guy said "Mommy, let's go inside and give them all of my snacks. I don't want them to have hungry bellies"

Sure enough, we loaded up in the car and drove over there.  She asked for money and I told her that I couldn't BUT I would buy her food. She listed off chicken, diapers, etc... but she only had a cheap, worn out stroller... so I asked her HOW she would carry that back or if I could drive it.  She then just asked for a gift card - JUST FOR FOOD.

T and I went into the store and bought a gift card.  (Yes, I know... she COULD use that for alcohol but at this point ...this is also a learning lesson for T so I just prayed over the situation and moved on.)

We brought it out to her and her baby...and then she was explaining her peril (I couldn't understand her thick accent) and she asked if she could clean our house... wash our car... anything.  It was SO sad. She was SO desperate.

So while we didn't do MUCH... we did SOMETHING.  I keep thinking my "service projects" need to be really OBVIOUS or planned... but then I realized... maybe, just maybe...while I am trying to teach T... God is teaching ME not to plan... to just let this happen and he will provide the need.  I just have to be willing to say SEND ME.



Tristan... always help those in need whenever you can!!

1 comment:

  1. There are no words to tell you how proud you make me. You, Holt and Tristan did a wonderful thing and are teaching the value of thinking and doing for those less fortunate...I love you all, so much...

    ReplyDelete